Carrot cake is one of the most classic recipes around — especially in spring. But this is far from Grandma’s recipe.
For your holidays this year, why not opt for something different? Something sweet and tasty, something that will help melt your stress away and leave you feeling rejuvenated again — I am talking about CBD (cannabidiol) infused carrot cake.
I know what you’re thinking, “Wait a minute, doesn’t that come from marijuana?”
Well, yes and no. Though it is true CBD can be derived from marijuana plants, it is also a major compound of hemp, which was made legal with the passing of recent hemp laws, which requires that all dried weight of the hemp plant be no more than 0.3 percent Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component of marijuana. However, there are some major benefits to some of the dozens of cannabinoids found in the hemp plant — no psychoactive component necessary. The one we are most interested in here is CBD.
What’s so great about CBD? Well let’s take a look at some of the amazing benefits of this compound. First off, let me be clear that CBD is a non-psychoactive substance, meaning you will not get high from using CBD. You will, however, find yourself feeling more relaxed, as many studies have shown that the use of CBD reduces anxiety. Other benefits include pain management, and prevention and reduction of inflammation. CBD has been shown to reduce or stop certain types of seizures, give people a more restful sleep, benefit heart function and even reduce chemotherapy effects in cancer patients.
As a chef, I love working with this product. When I worked as the executive chef of The Mint Dispensary in Phoenix, AZ, I opened the first full-service cannabis-infused kitchen in the country. It was there that I fell in love with CBD.
As a medical marijuana dispensary, the menu mainly consisted of THC-infused products, though it was CBD that I found myself drawn to. As a mother of four boys working full-time, I often find myself needing to take the edge off a little at the end of my day like so many other people, and with CBD, I find that I can do this without altering my mental state, though I am not opposed to the occasional glass of wine or cocktail as well (Bellini lovers, there is a recipe for you, too).
I continue to be amazed by all of the benefits I receive from the addition of this supplement to my diet: near-eradication of the pain from my rheumatoid arthritis, and alleviation of the aches and pains of everyday life while relieving stress. I am constantly looking for new ways to incorporate CBD into my diet and recipes.
Try incorporating CBD into your own recipes with our CBD carrot cake recipe below.
8 grated carrots or 1-pound bag baby carrots (use a food processor with the grate attachment)
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
280 milligrams CBD for 10-milligram cupcakes (or whatever strength you like best, oil-based)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated optional)
Cream Cheese Icing
2 sticks butter (1/2 cup), soft
2 eight-ounce packs cream cheese, soft
4 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons real vanilla
To make the cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (low convection).
2. Whisk together eggs, oil and oil-based CBD till blended in a large mixing bowl. You don’t need a mixer for this and can do it by hand.
3. Add vanilla and grated carrots.
4. Now mix all dry ingredients together.
5. Combine flour mixture into wet carrot mixture. The mix will look like slop, but it’s so good!
6. You can bake the mixture into cupcakes (makes 28), round cakes (makes 2) or in a large 9 x13 glass Pyrex dish.
7. Bake til golden and when toothpick inserted comes out dry.
8. Let cool for a while, then chill for 1 hour before icing.
Note: You can add walnuts and soft raisins to the cake mix if you like. Mix them in with the dry ingredients to incorporate them into the batter or chop them and press them into the icing before you chill the cake.
For the icing
1. In a stand mixer, beat the butter till smooth.
2. Now add cream cheese a bit at a time, scraping down the sides so it doesn’t clump up.
3. When smooth start to slowly add the powdered sugar a bit at a time.
4. Add vanilla and mix until smooth and soft.
5. Ice your cake let it chill for an hour or more before serving.
Be sure to share your CBD carrot cake creations with us by tagging @HomeOfTheHolidays or #Holidays365 on Instagram.