Decorating for Halloween is such a blast! Menacing jack-o’-lanterns, wicked witches, scary skeletons, and cute mummies. Wait … cute mummies? The words “cute” and “mummy” don’t typically go together. However, this fun and easy mummy pillow craft, inspired by Eighteen25, will prove that even mummies can be adorable.
Shopping for decorative pillows can be a scary experience in itself with the terrifying price tag that often accompanies them. Once you get over the sticker shock, it’s time to find a more budget-friendly way to make your own creation. Lucky for you, we’ve done just that. With just a few inexpensive supplies and a little time, you can have your own mummy pillow to add to your Halloween vibe.
ALSO TRY: Yarn pumpkin garland craft
Pillow inserts can be found at a price that won’t frighten you at Amazon, Walmart, IKEA, craft stores and most places that sell home decor. Grab a pack of two if you don’t want your mummy to be lonely. With a white pillow insert, you won’t need to cover it with a pillow case, making this even more affordable.
If, like us, you have a hard time throwing things away that could possibly be repurposed for future use, you may just have a throw pillow hiding in your house somewhere that would be perfect for creating a little mummy. If so, find an inexpensive white pillow case to cover it, and you’re ready to begin bringing your mummy to life.
Wrap the pillow in cheesecloth, securing it with hot glue. Using medical tape to secure the cheesecloth is also an option as it blends in while still maintaining the walking dead look.
As they saying goes, “It’s all in the eyes.” Play with the shape of your mummy’s eyes to create the look you want. Big wide open eyes = surprised mummy. Crossed eyes = confused mummy. Small beady eyes = sneaky mummy. Half-closed eyes = evil mummy. If you really want to keep the scary in Halloween, you could change the felt color of the eyes to yellow and red for a truly menacing gaze.
Along those same lines, if “cute” and “mummy” just don’t work for you, you can add the dirt and black stitching as explained below. To take it up another level, you can add red paint or felt for “blood” and then perhaps your scary mummy can greet trick-or-treaters from the chair on your front porch.
Once Halloween is over, save that pillow insert for your next creation. Chubby turkey pillow, anyone?>> Click here to jump straight to the craft instructions
Cut eyes from felt
Cut two large circles from the felt for the eyes. Then cut two small circles from the white felt for the “eyeball” part of the eye.
Wrap pillow insert
Cover pillow insert completely in cheesecloth by wrapping it horizontally and securing with hot glue.
Attach eyes to wrapped pillow
Use hot glue to secure felt eyeballs to top portion of pillow.
For more of a mummy effect, cut stitches out of black felt and glue above the eyeballs.
The cutest mummy you’ve ever seen!
Dress up your Halloween decor with this simple and adorable Mummy pillow craft
So simple, the kids can join in too!
- pillow insert
- glue gun
- black and white felt
- Roll the cheesecloth in the dirt for the “mummy” effect.
- Cut two large circles from the felt for the eyes.
- Cut two small circles from the white felt for the “eyeball” part of the eye.
- Wrap the pillow insert in the cheesecloth.
- Glue the large black circles on the pillow for the eyes.
- Glue the small white circles inside the black circles to give your mummy the look you desire.
- If you feel the mummy is not quite scary enough, add some stitches from black felt!
- Cut two thin strips of black felt about 4 inches long and 1/4 “ thick.
- Keep one strip long for the large line of the stitching.
- Glue the long black felt piece to the top of the mummy somewhere over his eyes.
- Cut the second strip into 3 or 4 smaller pieces.
- Glue these piece across the longer black strip to create a stitch look on the mummy (similar to that on a football).