Unicorns, mermaids, fairies… they’re all imaginative favorites for play and parties! This mermaid bark, inspired by Bread Booze Bacon, is a sweet treat that’s whimsical and mythical — ideal for a kids’ party, a beach-themed event, or a gift for a mermaid fan.
Although the swirls and scallops of purple, white and pink, dotted with shimmer candies and sprinkles, make them look like they took hours of work and gobs of talent, they’re really simple and fast to make.
Our mermaid bark recipe calls for white, purple and pink candy melts and coordinating candy decor; however, you can add or substitute different hues of candy melts and decor to make this fun candy bark fit your very own. You’ll find candy melts, shimmer candies and sprinkles at craft stores and some large grocery stores.
Candy melts are a godsend for kitchen candy makers. They’re more forgiving during the melting process than white chocolate, and they come in a huge array of colors.
To melt them, place each color in its own microwave-safe bowl. Microwave each color for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until the candy is smooth and melted completely. Work quickly to get all three colors melted separately, but ready at the same time. (If you want to color white candy melts, be sure to only use a food coloring specifically made for candy and chocolate — an oil-based colorant or powdered candy coloring.)
On a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper, drop large dollops of each color, making sure that different colors are next to each other. Use an offset spatula to swirl the colors together, evenly spreading the melted candy across the baking sheet. Be sure to spread them just enough so they look swirled, but that you don’t muddle the different colors together.
Next, waste no time in sprinkling the candy bark with sweets and shimmers and sprinkles! You want the candy decor to set firmly on top of the melted candy as it hardens (so you might need to gently push some of the toppings down into the bark).
Once it’s decorated, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes so it can firm up. After the bark has hardened, peel it up from the parchment or waxed paper and use clean hands to break it into large and small pieces.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Put candy melts in microwave-safe bowls to start
Melt each for 30 seconds in microwave and stir
Pour melted candy onto lined sheet pan
Repeat with each color for Mermaid bark
Finish pouring the purple melted candy into the pan
Using a small offset spatula, swirl colors together as you spread
Pull each color over into the next one to create pretty streaks of mixed color
Add candies and sprinkles to decorate your mermaid bark
Let melted candy cool and set until firm
It shimmers and sparkles!
Lift the mermaid bark candy from parchment or wax paper
Break candy into random pieces
Create Mermaid bark as large or small as you want
Customize your candy bark with your favorite colors
Tons of sparkly detail!
Each piece of Mermaid bark is unique
Impressive, festive, colorful.. and easy to make
Special and homemade – makes a perfect party favor, too!
Mermaid bark candy
Serves 6–8 servings
- 1 (12-ounce) package bright white candy melts
- 1 (12-ounce) package purple candy melts
- 1 (12-ounce) package pink candy melts
- Round shimmer candies in various sizes and coordinating colors
- Purple sprinkles
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- In three separate microwave-safe bowls, pour each color of candy melts into individual bowls. Microwave candy melts for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. Candy melts should be completely melted and smooth. If not, microwave for another 15 to 30 seconds and stir.
- Pour out large dollops of each candy melt color all over prepared baking sheet.
- Use offset spatula to swirl colors together and spread candy to edges of baking sheet. Colors should be swirled and not completely mixed together.
- Sprinkle top of bark with shimmer candies and sprinkles.
- Refrigerate candy for at least 15 minutes, or until well set.
- Peel candy off parchment paper and break into large and small pieces. Refrigerate candy until ready to serve
Mermaid bark can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Candy melt colors tend to fade after 3 weeks.
Powered By Cookbook