Do you love the classic cinnamony Snickerdoodles, but yearn for an update that makes this holiday cookie even more delicious? If so, we have a holiday recipe for some amazing “doodle” cookies you will love!
What makes these treats so special? It’s the addition of pure maple syrup and orange zest that brightens up this classic cookie recipe. Though this doodle cookie still showcases the traditional snickerdoodle’s cinnamon spiciness and cream of tartar tartness, it also surprises the palate with the natural sweet luxe of maple syrup, and the unexpected citrus zing of orange zest and orange extract.
Adding in some maple syrup to the batter for the doodle cookies
Baker’s note: For best results, allow enough time (up to an hour) to chill the dough thoroughly before baking these delicious holiday cookies.
Rolling the dough in cinnamon sugar
Zesty orange flavor
Orange-cinnamon-maple doodle cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening with hand mixer until well combined.
- Add white and brown sugar and maple syrup; beat until well incorporated.
- Beat in egg yolks, orange extract, nutmeg, maple flavor and orange zest until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Cover and chill dough for at least 30–60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon for topping.
- Scoop out dough using medium cookie scoop (1-1/2 tablespoons); roll into a ball, then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Place dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 11–14 minutes. Remove from oven before edges become crispy.
- Cool on wire baking rack.
Powered By Cookbook