Rice Krispie treats are just that—a treat—no matter the occasion or the season, so these rice cereal treat pumpkins, inspired by One Little Project, are the perfect pairing for your fall festivities. These pumpkin treats are absolutely adorable and look fantastic on any type of fall holiday table. Whether you’re looking for something a little extra for your Halloween party or want for something fun for the kids’ table at Thanksgiving, these little pumpkins are sure to delight your family and guests.
If you’ve made rice cereal treats before, you know the drill. This recipe doesn’t stray far from that tried-and-true combo of butter, marshmallows, and cereal. The only extra ingredient is food coloring, added to the butter and marshmallow mixture before the cereal. Orange, of course, is the target color. If you don’t have orange food coloring handy, you’ll likely need to experiment a little with the combination of red and yellow, but you’ll definitely use more yellow than red.
ALSO TRY: Mummy pumpkin cookies
While most Rice Krispie treat recipes have you press the mixture into a pan and that’s it, these are rolled into cute little pumpkin-shaped balls. Cereal treats are quite sticky by nature (it’s the marshmallows), so rolling into a shape can sound like a challenge. If you plunge your bare hands into the marshmallowy mixture, it won’t be quite so easy to fashion it into pumpkins. You’re more likely to have a sticky mess! But here’s a secret: Dip your hands in cooking oil prior to rolling the balls,. You will have a much easier time!
After you have your perfect little pumpkin shapes, add some additional decorations. Thankfully, candy comes to the rescue, and it will also add a little chocolate touch to your creations. While they’re still warm, press a miniature Rolo into the top of each pumpkin for the stem, and beside the “stem,” add a green M&M for the pumpkin’s leaf. Now you have charming pumpkins for your treat table, and better yet, they’re edible.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Prepare marshmallow mixture
In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
Remove mixture from heat
Add approximately 16 drops of orange liquid food coloring. Mix well.
Add final ingredient to marshmallow mixture
Pour in Rice Krispies and quickly stir to combine.
Roll cereal treat pumpkins
Coat both sides of your hands with a generous amount of cooking oil, scoop a handful of the mixture into your hands, and roll the cereal treat mixture into balls. Set on parchment paper.
While the balls are still warm, gently press a Rolo candy into the top of each pumpkin for the stem.
Add final decoration
Finish with a green M&M as the leaf. Cool completely.
Tasty treats and festive decor all in one!
Delicious Rice Krispie treat pumpkins
So cute, everyone will love them!
Gooey, crunchy treats—perfect for party snacking!
Rice Krispie treat pumpkins
Serves 10 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows (approximately 50 marshmallows)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies puffed rice cereal
- Orange liquid food coloring
- Green M&M's
- 1/4 cup cooking oil in a small bowl (to keep treats from sticking to your hands)
- Prepare two baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat. Add approximately 16 drops of orange liquid food coloring. Mix well.
- Add the Rice Krispies and quickly stir to combine.
- Coat both sides of your hands with a generous amount of cooking oil, scoop a handful of the mixture into your hands and roll the Rice Krispie mixture into balls. Set on parchment paper. Add oil to your hands before rolling each pumpkin ball.
- While the balls are still warm, gently press a Rolo candy into the top of each pumpkin for the stem. Add a green M&M beside it as the leaf.
- Allow to cool until firm.
Note: Pumpkin balls can be whatever size you desire.
Powered By Cookbook