Homemade fried chicken that’s crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and — sit down for this — not deep fried? It’s true! Try this air-fried chicken recipe, inspired by The Kitchen Magpie, you might never deep-fry your chicken again.
The Air Fryer is a revolutionary, and currently, an uber-trendy kitchen appliance that circulates hot air around minimally-oiled food to dry out and brown the food’s exterior so that it looks, feels, and tastes like it’s been deep fried. It’s a delicious, nutritious way to cut fat and calories from your favorite fried foods while still getting your fried food fix. Healthier fried chicken? Yes, please!
Though learning how to use an air dryer takes a while (make sure you read the instruction manual thoroughly), the actual hands-on time for air fryer fried chicken is only minutes. Once you put the chicken in the “fryer,” you can walk away and let the fryer do the work for you. In less than 30 minutes, you’ll be putting fir fryer fried chicken on the table. Your family probably won’t even know the difference between this and the greasy stuff.
The key is thoroughly battering your chicken pieces and completely misting them with oil. No need to over-oil, though; the chicken just needs a uniform coating of fat. Canola, coconut and peanut oil all work well.
Three simple ingredients give the chicken its magnificent flavor: flour, Old Bay Seasoning and seasoning salt. You’ll coat your poultry pieces in the flour mixture before dipping them into the beaten egg. Next, dredge the chicken through the flour mixture once more. This double-dredging gives your air-fried chicken pieces a crispy coating.
Check out the recipe below for the specifics, and get an idea of how it all works in the video above or these step-by-step photos!>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Start by whisking flour and seasonings together in mixing bowl
Coat chicken in flour mixture to start preparing it for the air fryer
Next, dredge raw chicken in beaten egg
Once more, coat the air fryer fried chicken in flour mixture
Place coated chicken on an oven tray
Continue the process with each chicken piece
Spray the floured chicken with oil
Chicken is thoroughly coated with oil and ready to cook
Place the chicken into the heated air fryer
Remove the air fryer fried chicken once it’s thoroughly cooked
Tender and juicy drumstick, straight out of the air fryer
Look at the crunch on this chicken!
Same great flavor — and so much less fat!
Now everyone can enjoy the taste of fried chicken!
Who wouldn’t love a bite of this delicious air fryer fried chicken?
Air Fryer fried chicken
Serves 4 servings
Courses Main dish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 egg
- 4 small chicken thighs, legs or breasts (if using breasts, cut in half or thirds depending upon size)
- Canola, coconut or peanut oil in mister or spray bottle
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 380F.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, Old Bay Seasoning and seasoning salt.
- In another large bowl, beat egg.
- Dredge chicken pieces through flour mixture, then into egg, then back into flour mixture again. Shake off excess flour.
- Spray each piece of chicken with oil completely.
- Place chicken into bottom of Air Fryer cooking compartment on grate.
- Set Air Fryer to cook for 25 minutes, or until chicken reaches 180F. Use thermometer to check temperature.
- Remove fried chicken from Air Fryer.
- Serve hot.
Powered By Cookbook