It’s easy to pop frozen chicken fingers into the oven, but there’s something to be said for making your own from scratch. These chipotle-honey chicken crispers have just the right amount of heat — carefully paired with the ideal level of sweet — to give them the perfect flavor. It’s a unique chicken dish, inspired by Spicy Southern Kitchen, that is batter-dipped, breaded and fried, and then doused in sauce. Delish!
This recipe has three distinct elements, and they all have their own set of ingredients. Each contributes to give these chicken crispers their layers of unique taste:
- The honey chipotle sauce, of course, contains honey and chipotle chili powder, along with other saucy basics like apple cider vinegar and ketchup. These ingredients are combined, brought to a boil, then set aside.
- The batter has familiar ingredients, including egg, milk, garlic powder and flour. Once the batter is finished, it, too, is set aside (sense a theme?).
- The breading mixture gives this recipe even more of a little kick with some added paprika and black pepper — and yes, make it then set it aside.
The magic begins once you’ve created your breading, batter and sauce. First, dip your chicken tenderloin in the batter, and then place it in the breading. Gently hand rolling the chicken through your breading ensures each delicious morsel clings to the batter-dipped chicken. Once you’ve dressed all your chicken crispers, it’s time to fry them up.
ALSO TRY: Air fryer fried chicken
The fried and drained crispers are placed in a bowl and, once all your chicken pieces are done, add the chipotle-honey sauce to the bowl and stir to combine. Ta-da!
These would make a terrific main course for dinner, or a lively and unique dish at your neighbor’s potluck gathering. For home meals, consider a fresh veggie-filled spinach salad or a mellow bean salad as a solid accompaniment to this feisty dish.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Boil chipotle sauce in saucepan
Add garlic powder to flour mix
Whisk together batter mixture
Add flour to batter
Dip chicken in batter
Dredge chicken in flour mixture
Lay chicken crispers on baking sheet before frying
Fry chicken until golden brown
Pour honey-chipotle sauce over the cooked chicken crispers
Coat chicken in sauce
These chicken crispers are a delicious, sweet and spicy treat
Chicken crispers – oh, how you shine!
Delicious for dipping!
Chipotle-honey chicken crispers
Serves 4 servings
Courses Main Course
Chipotle honey sauce
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 6-8 cups vegetable or peanut oil
Chipotle honey sauce
- Place honey, water, ketchup, vinegar, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce together in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir together egg, milk, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in flour and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, black pepper and garlic salt in a shallow plate. Set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper. Prepare a plate with a layer of paper towels.
- Heat oil in large cast iron pot to 350F. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and ensure the oil doesn't get too hot.
- Using one hand, dip chicken in batter then place in breading mixture. With other hand roll it in the breading and place on a baking sheet.
- Working with four pieces at a time, add battered and breaded chicken pieces to hot oil. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, about four minutes.
- Remove the chicken to the paper towel lined plate and season with salt. Allow cooked chicken to drain and cool. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
- Place cooked and drained chicken tenderloins in a large bowl.
- Add chipotle honey sauce to the bowl and toss gently until combined.
Powered By Cookbook