Think great-tasting burgers have to be grilled? Not even! These juicy oven-roasted burgers, inspired by a recipe from Frugal Haus Frau, prove you can cook up the flavorful American classic whatever the weather. Bonus: None of the charring and dryness that grilling can cause.
Not to mention, these burgers are a cinch to make, especially without the mess of charcoal or the hassle of getting gas for the grill. Just mix up the ingredients (which you most likely already have) and stick the patties in the oven.
This opens up a whole world of possibilities without much fuss. Love blue cheese and bacon burgers? Fold some crumbles of the stuff along with bits of crispy bacon into the meat mixture before forming the patties. Or how about some caramelized onions and Brie cheese on a brioche bun with your burger? Put together any balance of flavors you like right there on the counter, without leaving your kitchen and braving the elements.
Even healthy (ish) burgers can emerge from the lowly oven. A few simple modifications, and you’re good to go with a burger that tastes great and won’t destroy your waistline.
The advice is the same as for grilled burgers: Skip the cheese, ditch the sugar-laden and fatty condiments, and lose the bun. Instead, slather on some spicy mustard, teriyaki or hot sauce. Layer on plenty of fresh veggies, pickles or even pineapple. Then wrap it all up between layers of crisp butterleaf or Romaine lettuce so you can still enjoy that eat-with-your-hands burger experience.
This super-simple oven-roasted burger is a big, juicy blank canvas. Create to your heart’s content.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Mix the ground beef in bowl
Add Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef
Mix pepper into ground beef
Gently combine ingredients
Equally divide ground beef mixture
Form mixture into patties
Prepare hamburger patties for the oven
Place patties on oven rack
Bake hamburger patties in oven until cooked to desire temperature
Place cheese over the top of patties
All-American classic ready for dinner!
Incredibly juicy and flavorful.
Ready to satisfy all burger cravings!
Your burger: Simply perfect.
Have a bite!
Serves 4 servings
Courses Main course
- 1-1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- Condiments/additions of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place oven rack in middle of oven.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with foil and add kitchen rack 3/4″ above pan.
- In medium bowl, gently break up ground beef. Sprinkle with onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and any other desired spices and mix-ins.
- Mix lightly, trying not to over-handle the mixture. Overmixing will make burgers tough.
- Divide meat mixture into equal-sized portions (1/3 pound or 5.3 ounces each). Form each into patty about 1 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches across.
- Place hamburgers on rack and put into oven.
Cook until hamburger registers desired temperature (see note).
Powered By Cookbook
A few more burger tips for you!
- The official “safe” temperature for hamburgers is 160F. If you trust your butcher and you know the meat is fresh, you can cook burgers to desired doneness (143–160F).
- If you’re using cheese, add it about a minute before the hamburgers are done.
- A very lean ground beef often means dry, mealy burgers. Instead, use 75–80% lean beef.