Say adios to boring shredded-chicken tacos and say ¡hola! to these tastier Buffalo chicken tacos, based on a recipe inspired by Gal on a Mission. They’re baked in the oven — yes, baked — and the result is a spicy chicken filling nestled in a crispy taco shell smothered in bubbly cheese.
Basic chicken tacos feature shredded chicken with some spices. But why stop at a dull, ordinary Mexican dinner?
Bake and shred your seasoned chicken, then kick it up a notch with some cream cheese, butter and hot sauce to transform it into a give-me-more Buffalo-style filling. Then, it’s time to make tacos like you’ve never made them before: in the oven.
Certainly, you can scoop your Buffalo chicken into taco shells and serve them right away, but baking them in the oven gives the hard taco shells time to heat up, absorb the chicken flavor, and get deliciously blanketed with melted cheese.
When it’s all ready, bring your baking dish to the table and serve immediately with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and hot sauce.
This is one fast, easy dinner for a family or a hungry crowd. All you have to do is assemble the tacos, and the oven finishes them off to tasty perfection.
Trust us: Once you try oven-baked tacos, you might never serve tacos the old-fashioned way again.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Mix the spices for buffalo chicken tacos
Add the seasoning mix to the chicken breasts
Put the seasoned raw chicken breasts into a baking dish
Remove the foil from the baked chicken
Pour the sauce into the pan with butter & cream cheese
Stir up some savory buffalo sauce
Mix in the shredded chicken
Add the Buffalo-seasoned chicken to taco shells
Put on a little chopped tomato
Add a dab of sour cream
Plus a little more red sauce
And… deliciousness on a plate!
Look how good they look up close!
Want to try one?
They are party-perfect!
Oven-baked Buffalo chicken tacos
Serves 12 tacos
Courses Main dish
Buffalo chicken mixture:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or your favorite variety), to taste
- 12 hard taco shells
- Buffalo chicken mixture
- 1 cup Mexican four-cheese shredded cheese
- 1-1/2 cups lettuce, shredded (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
Buffalo chicken mixture:
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Mix salt, pepper and paprika in small ramekin. Coat each chicken breast lightly with spice mix.
- Grease an 8- by 8-inch baking dish or sheet.
- Place chicken into baking dish and bake for 18 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for additional 5 minutes.
- Allow chicken breasts to cool completely. Shred using two forks.
- Place cream cheese, butter and hot sauce into large skillet and simmer over medium heat until cream cheese has melted, stirring frequently.
- Add shredded chicken to mixture and stir to coat. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange hard taco shells in 8- by 8-inch baking dish.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of Buffalo chicken mixture into each hard shell. Top with shredded cheese. Repeat with all tacos.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.
Powered By Cookbook