Comfort food tastes great for the holidays. To make an average mac and cheese dish special for the season, add broccoli and bacon! This recipe makes a distinctive side dish for family and friends gathered, and will likely be requested year after year. So whether your contributing to a Thanksgiving family potluck or hosting this year, this Broccoli-Bacon Macaroni and Cheese combines your veggie, dairy, protein and starch all in one!
Broccoli-Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 6 -8
- 4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra to garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the macaroni in salted water, according to the package directions. During the last few minutes of cooking time, add the broccoli florets to the pan and continue to cook until the pasta is done. Drain and place back in the pan. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. When hot, add the garlic and cook for just a minute. Remove and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small sauce pan over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the flour and turmeric to the pan and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk and stock to the pan. Whisking constantly, bring the mixture to boil until it thickens, then remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth. Transfer the mixture to the pan with the macaroni and broccoli. Add the bacon, salt, and black pepper, and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with a little extra cheese.
- Serve warm.
Powered By Cookbook