All good cooks know that we eat with our eyes first. This recipe for rainbow roasted vegetables, inspired by the Simply Vegan Blog, features veggies in nearly every color of the rainbow — all lined up and roasted in the oven, with tons of flavor and absolutely zero fat. They make a feast for the eyes and the palate.
As a side dish for a dinner party, this platter will dazzle in shades of purple, red, orange, yellow and green. Guests will be amazed that something so simple can look so beautiful. Even your non-veggie lovers may brave a bite.
Don’t save this delightful dish for an event, though; it’s easy enough to throw together any day of the week. Even as a simple accompaniment for a Buddha bowl or a roasted veggie salad, its colors will rev the appetite. For extra convenience, you can wash, cut and store the produce the day before. Just drizzle on the vinegar and spices when you’re ready to roast them.
Also — you don’t have to stick with a perfect rainbow, and can substitute any other vegetable you like. Best are tasty varieties that have good color and can withstand roasting, such as butternut squash, yams, Brussels sprouts and asparagus. Golden, purple and striped beets are absolutely stunning when roasted. Carrots come not just the familiar orange, but also in red, purple and white. (If you can’t find these less common varieties at your grocery store, check a farmer’s market.)
What about seasonings? Balsamic vinegar adds zing and brightness, plus a bit of moisture. Thyme and oregano tie all the flavors together, and red pepper flakes add a zip of heat.
These veggies are so tasty that you won’t even notice that they’re completely fat-free. No oil in this recipe at all! So enjoy as many helpings as you want — your waistline won’t notice.>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Combine thyme and oregano for these rainbow roasted vegetables
Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
Combine the beautiful herbs and spices thoroughly
Arrange cut vegetables in rows on a parchment-lined baking sheet
Brush Rainbow roasted vegetables with balsamic vinegar
Sprinkle herb and spice mixture evenly over the vegetables
The perfect side dish!
Loaded with great flavor
Remove from oven when rainbow roasted vegetables are tender
These rainbow roasted vegetables are so simple to make!
Rainbow roasted vegetables
Serves 4 servings
Courses Side dish
- 1 whole red bell pepper
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper
- 1-1/2 cups carrots in variety of colors
- 1 whole zucchini
- 1 small head broccoli florets
- 1 large red onion
- 2–4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut all veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Line up chopped vegetables on baking sheet by type, row by row.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle veggies with thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Cut vegetables into pieces of the same size for even cooking.
- Tamari, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, or any type of vinegar (including flavored) can be used in place of balsamic vinegar.
Powered By Cookbook
Beautiful pops of color