When the temperatures start to drop and the days get shorter, nothing tastes quite as satisfying as a warm cup of soup.
Onion soup is classic on cold winter nights, but this recipe turns up the flavor a notch.
While it contains soul-warming staples like chicken broth, this recipe adds a touch of decadence with a hint of wine and the to-die-for creaminess of cream cheese.
The addition of potatoes makes it heartier and more filling than traditional French onion soup, while the buttery rich flavor is contrasted by the toppings. Those toasted walnuts and smoky bacon provide a crunchy contrast to the smoothness of the soup.
Serve this creamy onion soup in colorful dishes, and you will have a picture-perfect bowl of goodness for those cozy winter evenings. Get the recipe below!
Creamy onion soup with bacon nut crumble
- 5 small potatoes, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 onions, chopped
- 2/3 c. dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and boil in chicken broth until soft. Once cooked, strain. Set aside 2 cups of liquid. Return the remainder of the liquid to the saucepan.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, add onions, and sauté on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until completely cooked and translucent. Add the white wine. Simmer for another 4 minutes.
- Place the cooked potatoes, cream cheese, sautéed onions with 1 1/2 cups of reserved liquid in a blender, or use an imersion hand blender. Blend well.
- Pour the soup into the saucepan, along with the remaining liquid, milk, salt and pepper and whisk until well mixed. Simmer on low heat, stirring as needed.
- Sauté the bacon until crispy. Blot the excess oil off with a paper towel. Crumble bacon into bite-sized pieces. Mix bacon with toasted walnuts and parsley to make the crumble.
- Pour into individual soup bowls, garnish with toasted nut crumble and serve.
Powered By Cookbook