Don’t make your holiday guests starve until the Thanksgiving feast is served! Instead make this seasonal, delicious Extra Cheesy Slow Cooker French Onion and Sweet Potato Soup! It will tie them over, but not fill them up, making it the perfect Thanksgiving appetizer.
Extra Cheesy Slow Cooker French Onion and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 7 and 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/8 teaspoon sage, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Baguette, for serving
- 3/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in the onions and cook until the onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar over the onions and reduce the heat to medium. Cook stirring occasionally until the onions begin to turn brown, about 25 minutes. Add in the sweet potatoes about 10 minutes after cooking the onions and sugar. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the onion and sweet potato mixture to the slow cooker. Pour in all of the beef broth, the salt, thyme, sage, and bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- To serve, top each bowl with a slice of the baguette and sprinkle both cheeses evenly over the bowls. Broil on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.
Powered By Cookbook