The mason jar is among the most affordable craft supplies to buy in bulk, and is also one of the most versatile craft-starters, because you can make so many cool things with them.
Here’s a way to make mason jar lights — jars decorated with metallic spray paint on the outside, and tiny tealights on the inside — for a great go-to gift on that ever-growing Christmas list!
You’ll love the super-simple idea of light shining from behind a design. They’re cute, incredibly easy, and very budget-friendly to make.
Applying the decal of your choice (will later be removed)
Let your creativity shine
These mason jar lights so easy to customize with your own touches. Spray-paint different patterns onto the jars with stencils (try a lace doily!).
You can also try creating different patterns and layering with the spray paint — and try personalizing them with sayings and creative decorations around the outside.
Ready to spray-paint the jar and over the sticker
With so many possibilities, why not make a few and have a beautiful display of your own?
MORE CRAFTINESS WITH MASON JARS: The holiday season sparkles in this glitter jar craft
The painted jar with sticker still in place
Remove the sticker to create a window!
Supplies needed for crafting mason jar lights
- One clean mason jar with metal ring
- Decorative pebbles
- Vinyl sticker (star, words or whatever else you like)
- Silver or gold metallic spray paint
- Twine and/or decorative ribbon (other decorations, like our snowflakes, are optional)
- 1 battery-powered tealight candle for each jar
Directions: How to make mason jar lights
- Adhere vinyl sticker to clean, dry mason jar.
- Spray-paint the outside of the jar.
- When the paint is dry, carefully peel the sticker off the jar.
- Fill the jar a third of the way up with the decorative pebbles.
- Screw the metal ring back on to the top of the jar.
- Tie a little bit of twine around the jar.
- Place a tealight inside to illuminate your design from inside the jar.
Now you can warm up your holiday display with these mason jar lights!