Craving a yummy, filling casserole that won’t wreck your gluten-free eating plan? Of course, you are! And this scrumptious gluten-free tater tot casserole — inspired by Food Fanatic — with gluten-free mushroom soup is the delish dish for you.
Featuring a creamy mushroom and turkey filling covered with a generous layer of tasty tater tots, this gluten-free casserole will quickly become one of your favorite family meals.
ALSO TRY: King ranch chicken casserole
The rich base for the filling is a homemade gluten-free cream of mushroom soup that you whip up before making the rest of the casserole. Never made a gluten-free cream-based soup before? You’re going to love this quick and easy recipe, which you can use in other recipes calling for canned cream of mushroom soup.
Heres how to make the whole delicious casserole!>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Melt butter in saucepan
Add mushrooms to melted butter
You’ll start by melting the butter, then sautéing mushrooms.
Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside
Pour rice flour into butter
Sprinkle in rice flour (it’s gluten-free, y’all!) and stir to coat. Keep stirring until the flour-butter mix is golden.
Add chicken broth to mix
You’re basically making a roux, which will thicken with the broth and milk that you add next.
Whisk ingredients together
Add milk to pan
Add thyme to pan
Bring to a boil and add the fresh herbs. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens into a creamy soup. Now, get a big spoon and taste this deliciousness. You’ll be tempted to eat all of it on the spot — but resist for now.
Add cooked mushrooms to the mixture
Stir ingredients together
Begin cooking turkey in a hot pan
Finish up your gluten-free casserole filling. We’ve used ground turkey for this recipe, but you can certainly swap in ground chicken, beef or pork. Cook the ground turkey and onions until the turkey is nicely browned, and the onions are soft and fragrant.
Pour mushroom soup over turkey
Here’s where you stir in the gluten-free cream of mushroom soup and green beans.
Add frozen green beans to mixture
Then, stop the cooking — you don’t want to cook the green beans in the skillet. They will warm up in the oven.
Pour casserole into baking dish
Pour the turkey mixture into a prepared casserole dish and top with gluten-free tater tots. (No need to thaw the tots before you put them on the casserole.)
Place frozen tater-tots over casserole
Slide the casserole dish in the oven and bake. Thirty minutes later, you’ll have dinner on the table.
The most delicious and hearty casserole!
This tater tot casserole is best served hot out of the oven.
Gluten-free tater tot casserole with cream of mushroom soup
Serves 6–8 servings
Courses Side dish
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped white button mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons rice flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bag frozen green beans (10 ounces)
- 4 cups frozen gluten-free tater tots
- Melt butter in medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Sprinkle rice flour over mushrooms and whisk until flour turns slightly brown. Add broth and milk while whisking and bring to boil.
- Add thyme and parsley. Continue to boil until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set soup aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey and onions.
- Add soup and green beans, stirring to combine.
- Spray shallow 11-by-7-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour turkey mixture into casserole dish. Top with tater tots.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tater tots are lightly browned and filling is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Powered By Cookbook