If you frequent Mexican restaurants or find yourself chasing down Mexican food trucks in search of tongue-tantalizing Mexican fare, you’re going to love our grilled chicken and quinoa burrito bowls with avocado salsa inspired by Cooking Classy. No need to fork out lots of cash or go food truck hunting when you can easily make an amazing Mexican-inspired meal right in your very own Cocina.
The large entrees at Mexican restaurants can leave you feeling fat and happy…until the happy wears off and you just feel overstuffed. We’ve lightened up our Mexican meal by featuring grilled chicken, quinoa, black beans and corn.
ALSO TRY: Easy, healthy sweet potato quinoa bowls
This healthy bounty of ingredients are delectably spiced with a Mexican flair. We skip the rice and tortillas and serve the ingredients as a burrito bowl, which is a wildly popular way to enjoy your favorite foods without the extra empty calories. Best yet, we’ve boosted the eye and flavor appeal of this dish with a homemade fresh avocado salsa. Can you say “Delicioso!”?
If you haven’t made quinoa before, you might feel intimidated by it. But making quinoa is kind of like making rice or couscous. That is, it’s simple! Also, you can’t beat a fresh salsa featuring plump, juicy tomatoes and buttery chunks of avocado. This is the perfect combination of flavors that will complement the chicken, quinoa and black beans. Commas!>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil, cover and simmer until the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Fluff and set aside.
Prepare your chicken by cutting the chicken breasts in half lengthwise and pounding them to even thickness. This ensures that they will cook evenly. Make a seasoning blend by combining Ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
Coat chicken in spice mixture
Brush chicken all over with olive oil then thoroughly season with the spice mixture.
Cook chicken for Grilled chicken and quinoa burrito bowls with avocado salsa
Grill chicken for about four minutes per side or until cooked through. Set the chicken aside and keep warm.
In a bowl, combine diced tomatoes, avocados, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil and cilantro. Toss well so the flavors meld.
When ready to serve, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. To assemble the burrito bowls, evenly divide the warm quinoa into bowls.
Continue adding ingredients to bowls
Top quinoa with grilled chicken, corn, black beans, Mexican cheese, avocado salsa and sour cream.
Colorful salsa goes on the top for Grilled chicken and quinoa burrito bowls with avocado salsa
Finish layering ingredients into bowls
As gorgeous as it is good for you!
Try a bite today
So much good stuff packed into one bowl!
Just the salsa alone is to-die-for
Healthy and tasty…hard to beat that combo!
Grilled chicken and quinoa burrito bowls with avocado salsa
Serves 4-6 servings
Courses Main Course
- 1-1/2 cups dry white quinoa*
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds (three) boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise and pounded thin evenly to equal six pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2/3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1-14.5 ounce can black beans
- Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1-1/2 medium avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
*Rinse quinoa under cold water in a sieve if it's not listed on the package that it's pre-rinsed.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until broth has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let rest five minutes, then fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, using a grill or grill pan, heat to 425F.
- In a small bowl whisk together Ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Brush both sides of chicken with the 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil then season both sides of chicken with all of the chili powder mixture.
- Grill chicken until center registers 165F on an instant read thermometer, about four minutes per side. Repeat process until all chicken is cooked.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, cover with foil and allow to rest five minutes. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl gently toss together tomatoes, avocados, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil and cilantro.
- To assemble burrito bowls, divide quinoa evenly among individual bowl. Top with chicken, corn, black beans, Mexican cheese, avocado salsa and sour cream.
Powered By Cookbook